Old July 25th 09, 05:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley

Default SAFE Winch Launching and automatic gearboxes

On Jul 25, 7:15*am, Del C wrote:
At 12:30 25 July 2009, vontresc wrote:

Well if British technology is so superior, why do none of your winches
use Rover or British Leyland engines??? :-)

Basically because they are too small, due to our Government's punative
taxes on motor fuels, which means we can't afford to run cars with big
gas guzzling engines. 4.2 litre Jaguar engines and 3.5 litre Rover V8
engines have been used in winches in the past, but they are not powerful
enough to launch the modern big heavy glass two-seaters.

Derek Copeland

The Rover V8 started as the Buick 215, later modified by Rover. My
old SD1 was quite fast.

Frank Whiteley