Old May 1st 21, 04:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

Default Purists are from Pluto, Motorgliderists are from Mars - #2

On 4/30/2021 4:46 PM, Jason Leonard wrote:

I think you're looking at the probabilities wrong. When the engine is extended to do a self retrieve the chances of it not having a malfunction and leaving you like a heavy 1-26 is just over 30%. You really shouldn't begin to depend on it to start. Others have said being pleasantly surprised that it started is one way to put it.

On the flip side - my gliders only off airport landing was when the engine wouldn't start, and it was just once. He had taken an aerotow and forgot to turn the fuel selector on. 🤷*♂️ So "hopefully" mine doesn't give me so much grief as others have experienced. But over 30% of owners have dealt with engine starting problems in flight. Eric I do think a new survey should happen.

The chances of the engine failing to start are far less than 30% for most
people. My experience is about 200 successful in flight starts, with one
failure, and I believe the "fleet average" is less than a few percent.

It is very likely that 30% of owners has experienced engine starting problems in
flight. I can recall several times the engine was reluctant to start, mostly due
to pilot error.

--
Eric Greenwell - USA
- "A Guide to Self-launching Sailplane Operation"