Old September 27th 07, 11:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Brian[_1_]

Default Panel Materials

On Sep 27, 10:39 am, Tim Taylor wrote:
I am getting ready to replace the panel in my Ventus B. Are there any
standard materials (especially the core) and recommended glass and
core thickness used to layup a new one?

This is a fixed panel, does not pop up when the canopy is opened.

I was thinking of using a 1/16" to 1/8" core of DIVINYCELL. So far
the thinest I can find is 1/8", is this too thick and will it handle
the compression of mounting screws through it?

For a panel I wouldn't bother with a core. I would just make it about
1/8 of Glass.
Depending on the Glass this usually only about 4 to 6 layers of glass
if I recall correctly. Maybe a few more if you vacuum bag it.

If you really need a thin core you might look at just using a peice of
aircraft plywood.

Brian Case
CFIIG/ASEL