Old April 17th 08, 07:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
B A R R Y[_2_]

Default Should I be scared -- C172 over Gross

WingFlaps wrote:

This is ridiculous. How on earth do you think ferry flights work,
they can be way over MTOW but the wings don't rip off do they? A 172
it's not going to notice a measely 40lbs over MTOW unless the COG is
wrong.

We all know about ferry flights, flown by a lone professional.
Professional ferry pilots don't ask anonymous Usenet posters how they
think the plane will fly, either.

Would you tell the passengers that the airplane is over it's
manufacturer specified takeoff weight limit, and allow them the free
will to get off? If you wouldn't do that...

If someone did get off, the problem is solved! G

I fly at max gross all the time, as my plane needs serious ballast to be
in CG with two big guys up front. I agree the wings won't fall off at
ferry flight weights. Think of how important a small spot of water or a
fouled plug, that might not have been a big deal within limits, becomes
when overweight. Think of how airplanes gain weight, and engines lose
performance as they age.

The unwitting passengers and the "if you have to ask as a pilot" part of
this equation that bugs me.