Old December 3rd 15, 11:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike the Strike

Default M & D jet receives EASA Type Certificate

On Thursday, December 3, 2015 at 2:36:55 PM UTC-7, wrote:
On Thursday, December 3, 2015 at 8:32:48 PM UTC, Dan Daly wrote:
On Thursday, December 3, 2015 at 2:36:48 PM UTC-5, wrote:
On Thursday, December 3, 2015 at 6:28:10 AM UTC-8, wrote:
http://translate.google.de/translate...html?news=1991

Interesting announcement. Let the retro fits begin!

What is the maximum range of the JS1 with that engine, and what cruising speed achieves that range?

On https://translate.google.ca/translat...e/&prev=search there is a pilot report, in part "He is strong and has sufficient fuel (Diesel) from 100 to 200 km, depending on usage patterns on board." I imagine you can go a shorter distance faster, or cruise economically longer (and higher).

The most recent range estimates from JS that I have available, using 40 available litres fuel from the 43 litre tanks, show:

around 100Km level flight @ 210pkh (114 knots) at 95,000 rpm full power

around 150km level flight @ 150kph (80 knots) at 75,000 rpm

around 200km single climb at 2m/s cruising @ 138kph (75knots) and full power, then gliding at best LD.

By my reckoning these estimates are rather conservative based on a fuel flow of 67 litres per hour at full power that I see indicated on the control unit in flight and the fact that the performance and climb rates seem to match well with the claims. For the climb and glide scenario that should give 80km range while climbing 4000m and a further 200km in the glide at 50:1

Assuming, of course, that it actually starts!

Mike