Old January 13th 06, 06:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.piloting

Default UAV's and TFR's along the Mexico boarder

The RFP for the southern border project specified UAV's with 12 hour
endurance, synthetic aperture radar and a laser illuminator as well as
a FLIR system, light amplification cameras, comm relay for ground
agents, a mode S transponder and a pile of other stuff. You have a
182 and a crew that can do that?

I guess you're right. I've never heard of a 182 that can carry a mode S
transponder and be within its weight limits. The comm relay is another
impressive bit of gear - it can send signals literally through the air
as the aircraft is flying. Amazing technology, that.

I don't know how much the other equipment weighs, nor how it stacks up
against trained eyeballs. I have no idea why they need 12 hour
endurance - except that a UAV can't refuel as easily as a 182. I've
heard of 182s that can literally land on a grass field, refuel, and take
off again on that =very= =same= grass field!

How much of the UAV's systems are pilot surrogates? (that is, unneeded
if there were a live pilot on board?

Jose