Old August 12th 20, 04:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tango Eight

Default Speed of a vario

Fast vario example: https://youtu.be/XAjwVPRTxQE?t=120

CNv set to "0.5s" for both pointer and audio. Panel is badly underexposed, but you can see the orange needle of the old CNv display on left side. I have the vario set to suppress sink tones (I don't need to be scolded when I'm not climbing).

What the TC refers to in this case is the low pass filter on the back end of the data stream. 0.5s effectively turns the low pass "off". There is plenty of digital filtering in front of this, and imo, it works quite well. I think it is about as fast as is useful for sailplanes. There's a reliable, repeatable sequence of boot in the bum followed a couple tenths of a second later by the audio for real thermals. If the boot is missing, that's a gust. It's very easy to train yourself to detect this difference (a good vario helps).

Not yet released CNv color display at upper right (it's quite visible in real life), should be out soon.

OT: At 2:25 you get a nice look at the Appalachian Trail as it ascends Old Speck Mountain just before plunging into Grafton Notch. We fly this route fairly often... but normally a bit higher :-).

T8