Old August 18th 06, 02:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Greg Copeland[_1_]

Default Collision alert!

On Thu, 17 Aug 2006 04:41:21 +0000, Jose wrote:

Having finally spotted the aircraft and realizing I was not flying '80K,
whos callsign had become second nature to me, I replied back on the radio.
We still had some time to react without acting rashly. After all, I
didn't want to upset the "cargo".

"95X, I have contact." Not wanting to compound the situation in the event
other traffic was near I asked if they wanted me to climb or descend.
"Your prerogative." I started to climb with full throttle

At this point, how imminent was the threat? From the way you described
it, there was plenty of time. You made it to 4500 feet (with time to
spare); even at 1000 feet per minute, that's thirty seconds, and you
already see him. I'd've probably stayed at my altitued, said "traffic
in sight" and then maintained altitude, maneuvering to avoid him as
necessary. It might not have even been necessary.

In hindsight, that would have been the better thing to do. You are
correct, we are not talking about impending death seconds aways. I
thought I had done a pretty good job of spelling that out in both the
original posting and follow ups. There was no drastic, last second
manuvering to avoid a near miss. As I said, I seriously doubt we were
closer than 1/2 mile at our closest point.

If he was at 11 o'clock, and travelling at 90 degrees to you, you'd
probably pass behind with no further action on your part.

Actually, we were very clearly converging to a single point in space.
Would it have resulted in a near miss? Perhaps. Perhaps not. The
prudent thing to do was to change course and/or elevation. I picked
elevation. My intention was to cruise at 5500 once out of class B...so
I'm guessing this is where the desire to climb came from. Ya, that's
pretty lame but probably the truth.

After climbing, finding him again at your altitude, turning, finding him
turning towards you, and turning again, you then say you're "less than a
mile away". Even half a mile, if you're watching, isn't all that close
(the Hudson river is only a mile wide).

It would seem to me that there was never an imminent threat; the
aircraft were too far away. A threat was developing, but once you had
him in sight it would not take such drastic action to avoid trading
paint (or pained expressions) with the other aircraft.

I suspect controllers will call out a collision alert further away,
because of the limited resolution of their screens (vs the High

That was my expectation as well. Assuming he's looking at a pretty big
area, planes within a couple of miles of each other probably look like
they are on top of each other.

Resolution Plexiglass Display most aircraft carry), and the time it
takes for any action they take to translate into aircraft movement.

As for tracking the idiot, check passur.com. Maybe they have radar
histories for that airport.

For what airport? DFW?

Jose

Greg