Old December 12th 04, 07:02 PM
C Kingsbury

"Hudson Valley Amusement" wrote in message
I am currently a ASEL private pilot and would like to get to Multi

Commercial
Instument ASAP. I can dedicate full time to this and would like your

opinions
on the best way to go about it.

One-third of the instrument rating is learning attitude flying- how to fly
S&L, make turns, climbs, and descents accurate by reference to instruments
only. This should be mastered in a slow, simple airplane first. Two-thirds
of it is learning procedures, which are basically independent of the
airplane, but will again be easier to master in a slower airplane until you
get thehang of it, which may take a good 15-20 hours or more. The commercial
ticket doesn't really require you to master any dramatically new skills, so
you might as well train for it in a twin if you can afford it.

Personally, I think the best thing to do in your case would be to head to
Fla. or Ariz. and knock your ratings out in minimum time and money, and then
come back and find yourself a good instructor-pilot to fly with you the
first 100 hours or so and really educate you. The insurance company likely
won't cut you loose anytime soon anyway so you might as well get used to it.

-cwk.