Old April 14th 07, 08:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Vaughn Simon

Default lightning stikes a ASK21

"jeplane" wrote in message
ups.com...
The same article goes on to say fiberglass, especially carbon fiber is
conductive. So if you are on the ground and a thunderstorm is over the
airport, to seek shelter inside a building and NOT inside the glider
which has no protection.

I have real problems with this statement. Caught in a storm, I would want the
most conductive shell possible around my vulnerable, conductive body. I would
think that an aluminum airframe, being highly conductive, would be perfect.

I thought that the problem with fiberglass was that it was not sufficiently
conductive, which can lead to instantaneous overheating and in-flight structural
destruction.

Vaughn