Old April 15th 07, 07:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charles Yeates

Default lightning stikes a ASK21

Wasn't there a two-place glider in England destroyed in the air by a
lightening strike? I recall control rods in the wing fused and the
fibreglass "exploded" Both aboard succssfully bailed out -- the
passenger was on his first ride but had been briefed. Good thing, eh?

"Tony Verhulst" wrote in message

The Beech Starship (composite business turbo prop - RIP) had a copper mesh
layer between the layers of fiber glass precisely for lightning
protection. I'm reasonably certain that other like (and larger) aircraft
do too.

Tony V.

That's true. Years ago I saw video of "test" lightning strikes (nowhere near
as strong as the real thing) on unprotected GRP composite material and
composite with mesh, done by either Glasair or Lancair. The difference in
size and impact of the damaged area was dramatic. Without the mesh the hole
in the wing was very big. Without the mesh is was just big. If being zapped,
I'd rather be in an aluminum skinned plane.

I understand that carbon fiber explodes when struck even without metal
control rods to heat up and expand the air within the wing. The carbon does
a fine job of heating and turning moisture into steam

bumper

--
Charles Yeates
ZS Jezow Agent - PW-6/PW-5