Old September 5th 07, 05:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jim Vincent

Default Winch launch procedure and accidents

The issue might not be violence, per se, but more the quick acceleration of
the launch compresses the seat pillow, moving the pilot back. Unless you're
on the ball, this can lead to unintended pull back on the stick. If your
hand is on the release, you might release by mistake. I prefer to keep my
knuckles on the release so I can easily reach it.

"Vaughn Simon" wrote in message
news

"Dan G" wrote in message
ups.com...
You
have one hand on the stick and the other holds the release. You will
not have time to go feeling for the release if you need it.

I am trying to think back, but with most (if not all) gliders I have
flown this would not be practical because of the dash-mounted position of
the release knob. I was taught that my left hand went behind (not on) the
spoiler handle to guard it closed. Here it can prevent another type of
launch accident and still be very close to the release knob.

There is no way any launch could be violent enough that you'd pull the
release
accidently.

I have had some pretty violent launches. Things get bumpy when you
are rolling over grass on a single wheel at near-takeoff speeds.

Vaughn