Old September 5th 07, 06:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_1_]

Default Winch launch procedure and accidents

Ian wrote:
Wing runners, if the wing
is pulling down, let it go down - a bit. The pilot can then do
something useful with the stick (probably by reflex) to get it level.

Good advice. I must remember that.

Pilots can be stupid about this too. "There is a cross wind from the
right" they think "so I will need to keep the right wing down to avoid
drift, so I will start with some right aileron" Yes, I know it's not
logical, but they do it, and the result is generally a huge lurch as
soon as the tip runner lets go.

Yes, I've been there. Now I generally start a winch launch with all
controls neutral and the knowledge that I can correct fast enough to
keep straight and the wings level. The only exceptions a

- I will start with some left rudder on a Junior if there's a strong
cross wind from the right - thanks to its left offset hook a Junior
will swing right under these conditions if given half a chance.

- I start a Std. Libelle winch launch on full forward trim and an
additional forward pressure - otherwise it WILL rotate too fast.
Once it starts to auto-rotate full down only just controls it, but
starting as I described gives a smooth lift-off and a nice
rotation when you want it.

I haven't yet dropped a wing on a winch launch, but my hand IS on the
release from "cable on" all the way to the top.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK