Old January 5th 15, 11:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default What First Glider to own?

On Saturday, January 3, 2015 4:19:34 AM UTC, wrote:
On Tuesday, December 7, 2010 3:39:02 PM UTC-8, ProfChrisReed wrote:
On Dec 6, 10:41*am, Hagbard Celine wrote:

If you're
alright with the heavier rigging an Open Cirrus would be an option
too.

I've flown an Open Cirrus for some years and am very happy with it.

The heavy rigging is not a problem if you make two trestles - even
better with three (the third a low one to take the wing root while you
position yourself to slide it into the fuselage). I've made a simple
mid-wing dolly to take the weight, and can now easily rig solo.

Cockpit is very roomy, except if you're long in the body you may find
headroom very tight. Long legs are no problem at all.

Note that it's a heavy glider with airbrakes that are good enough but
with little in reserve. Speed control is paramount - 5 kts extra can
more than double your float and get you into trouble in a field
landing. However, if you can fly a steady approach you won't have any
problems, just check out the book figures and don't start adding some
speed "for safety".

Otherwise it's easy to fly and performs well if you don't rush it.
Sink rate rises rapidly beyond 60kt, and if you really want to go
places pull the speed back to 50 when (mine at least) gets better than
40:1.

I just looked at a beautifully restored and updated Open Cirrus and noticed 2 things
1. While I'm 6 ft tall but long legged, I was surprised that my head rested against the canopy. This may be remediable as the ship apparently has a modified floor pan.
2. I found the rudder dampers (while sitting in just the cockpit, unassembled, to be VERY stiff.
Any comments, especially on the latter issue
Thanx

I'm 6ft 1 inches, and with the hammock seat my head was too close to the canopy, so I removed the hammock and sit directly on the seat pan. You want to find a fairly reclined position - sitting upright won't work unless you are short bodied.

The rudder damper is a pain - before mine was replaced as worn out, the glider was much nicer to fly. Unfortunately, back in 1967/68 when the Cirrus was the hot racing ship one suffered rudder flutter (probably exceeding Vne by quite some amount) so the damper was added. You get used to it, and it seems less stiff in flight.