Old January 1st 18, 08:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

Default ASW27 Trasponder Antenna Installation Inside Fuselage.

On Monday, January 1, 2018 at 12:05:38 AM UTC-8, Scott Williams wrote:
On Sunday, December 31, 2017 at 10:45:56 PM UTC-6, Darryl Ramm wrote:
On Sunday, December 31, 2017 at 6:25:04 PM UTC-8, Scott Williams wrote:
On Sunday, December 31, 2017 at 8:02:08 PM UTC-6, Darryl Ramm wrote:
Just leave it alone and go fly.

Fundamentally I agree with you, but if my new expensive transponder installation fails recert in the future, I would have wished to correct it being only a couple of months old. rather than close to the end of the warrantee period. And I must admit to being pretty obsessive compulsive on subjects like this.
thanks,
Scott

As an admitted inexperienced guy about transponders, this is why I asked for input. I value your comments, and if the tech had not been so wishy washy and just said "It's fine, let me sign it off" I would not have been concerned.

Thanks again,
Scott.
C'mon you are wasting time, you didn't even know what the guy was talking about but that did not stop you trying to talk to the manufacturer... . He's signed off on the install. These tests are very imprecise (third time I've said that), as you should have taken away from the technician's comments and very likely don't show anything worth worrying about. If you don't trust the avionics tech who signed off on it then go elsewhere. I've already told you what the test to ask for... but given how busy shops are with ADS-B installs I expect many of them would have low tolerance for things that look like they might be wasting time, or maybe they'll be willing to charge you well for farting around with somebody else's transponder install. You are wasting time...

Scott

Thanks for installing a transponder, I expect it will be trouble free, modern solid state transponders like your TT22 are pretty damn reliable.

One thing to mention is since you have a Trig Transponder you can add ADS-B Out, specifically the simpler to adopt TABS version, by adding a ~$350 TN72 GPS Source. Maybe you've already done that, but if not that should be a simple add-on install once you have a TT22 or TT21 installed. How useful that add-on is to you depends on what you are doing, but it will make your glider visible to the increasing number of ADS-B In systems used in GA, visible at longer range (that FLARM) to PowerFLARM, etc.