Old October 24th 07, 02:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Morgans[_2_]

Default Transporting O2 safely

"Wayne Paul" wrote

Jim,

Why does a J size oxygen bottle need to be transported upright? Is the
something different about the J bottle then the FAA approved "F" bottle
horizontal mount in my glider? Or the multiple welding size bottles that
are mounted horizontal on a trailer at a recent FBO I visited?
http://www.mhoxygen.com/index.phtml?...prd_group_id=8

All good questions, but the kicker is that it is DOT regulations for
transporting bottles over the road. Your plane and the FBO carts are not on
the road.

I've just spent close to an hour looking for a reg to cite, but you know how
it goes; when you want to find something specific on the web, you find
everything but.....

Still, I'm pretty sure it exists. I was able to find regs (OSHA) that
requires upright transport and use, but not any DOT regs.

If anyone knows of a reg and how to find it, I would like to see it, or if
you know of an exception that allows horizontal transport of compressed gas
bottles, I'd like to see that, too.
--
Jim in NC