Old July 23rd 08, 11:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Dick Johnson is gone.

On Jul 23, 5:46�pm, "Tim Mara" wrote:
this is very very sad......
tim

"Burt Compton - Marfa" wrote in ...

July 23, 2008

I just received a telephone call from a reliable source that Dick
Johnson has crashed at the combined World Class / 1-26 Nationals at
Midlothian, Texas (south of Dallas). �He was flying as sniffer.

Apparently he dove-in after release from tow. �My source reports that
Dick has perished in the crash.

I am stunned. �Nothing to speculate about now -- he is just gone.
So God Bless Alice his wife, and his family. �Alice lost their son
Nels many years ago in a hang-glider accident.

Mr. Johnson was a mentor to us all, world-wide soaring legend, and a
dear friend of my family.

Burt Compton
Marfa, Texas
USA- Hide quoted text -

The Soaring movement World Wide will mourn Dick Johnson's passing .
Although he hardly knew me he generously helped me on several
occasions both with advice and tools . I have always thought of him as
one of the truly great examples of a Leader in our chosen sport.God
Bless his wife Alice and family following this tragic loss.

Ron Clarke.