Old March 8th 12, 05:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Cochrane[_2_]

Default Article on glide strategy

On Mar 8, 9:55*am, Mike the Strike wrote:
Still important, but perhaps for a separate thread, is a strategy for escaping from a line of sink rather than just dealing with the mathematical consequences.

As I noted earlier, lift and sink lines are frequently aligned and knowledge of the relative heading of the glider along or across these lines would give the pilot useful information for an avoidance strategy.

You can see the forecast predictions of any such lift/sink lines on the RASP Boundary Layer Up/Down Motion or the equivalent HRRR field "Mean Layer Vertical Velocity".

Changing your final glide heading from a line of sink into a line of lift might have more benefit than accepting the inevitable and dialing up doom on your flight computer!

Mike

Yes. In rivers of blue sink, I often just head 90 degrees off course
and wait.

Put another way, though, you have to use a much higher glide slope
(MacCready value + reserve) for safety spots that are upwind/downwind
or aligned with lift/sink streets than for safety spots that are
crosswind or not so aligned. The airports are where they are, so going
crosswind isn't always an option.

John Cochrane