Old May 8th 06, 12:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Default Fuel Prices and their Effect on Your Flying

Jay Honeck wrote:
: Sure, but I've never seen a 100LL pump without a filter inline. Anyway... I
: guess I haven't visited enough out-of-the-way places. I would have figured I'd seen
: gunk flying to Alaska and back last summer, but of the 500 gallons of 100LL we ran
: though it, there was never a spec/drop.

: Hmmm. Although I've always considered Alaska to be "out of the way",
: I've never considered it to be anything but at the heart of aviation
: heaven.

: Correct me if I'm wrong, but there is no state in the Union with more
: dependence upon general aviation than Alaska. I'll bet they chew
: through a LOT more 100 LL than Iowa does...and therefore their gas
: ought to be pretty "fresh".

We didn't fly too much around... just into Juneau. The fuel stops along the
way were pretty well-traveled as they were practically the *only* ones in the area and
tended to be where there was a rather large town anyway. We didn't need to get fuel
in the few out-of-the-way places we landed (Atlin BC, and the Prophet River airstrip
come to mind).

Never ceases to amaze me going back to Juneau (now as a GA pilot) how it's
just like stepping back in time aviation-wise. Beavers, C-185's, and supercubs are
almost all on floats and flying continuously with loads of tourists. Something pretty
sweet hearing the rattle of the radials climbing a load of tourists up into the scud.

-Cory

* Cory Papenfuss, Ph.D., PPSEL-IA *
* Electrical Engineering *