Old November 6th 03, 12:02 AM
Colin

Robert Ehrlich wrote:

Colin wrote:

Many years ago a highly respected aerobatic pilot in UK (still working
today) wrote an article in our Pilot magazine on this subject. He
reminded us that three things were required:
1. A rapid 180 degree change of heading.
2. Minimum loss of height.
3. Normal airspeed at the end of the manoever.
Controversially, he maintained that a highly banked slipping turn
satisfies all three criteria. The rate of decent is very high during
the turn, but the duration is so short that it results in less height
loss than either of the two alternatives (eg:slow and gentle or fast
and furious), and the airspeed is normal throughout.
Just don't forget to keep loads of top rudder on.

- Colin

I don't see why the turn should be a slipping one, you certainly will
loose more height in a slipping turn than in a normal one. And height
loss is what make the turn possible or not.

1. A slipping turn can be made at a high bank angle and low airspeed.
2. Rate of turn is dependent on angle of bank and airspeed, such that
the highest rate of turn is achieved with a high bank angle and a low
airspeed.
Brian illustrated this by inviting us to compare the rate of turn
achieved by a C150 and a jet fighter at the same angle of bank.
It has to be a slipping turn or we would stall, so the maximum bank
which can be used is dependent on the amount of top rudder available.

- Colin