Old September 18th 06, 05:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
wright1902glider

Default builders' remorse?

I went in a very different direction from most homebuilders in that I
built a pioneer-era glider. When I started the project, I intended to
fly the glider once, maybe show it at the Centennial of Powered Flight,
and then maybe donate it to a museum. While researching the machine, I
ran across the following quote from Katharine Wright to Bishop Wright:

"Father, the flying machine is in process now. Will spins the (sewing)
machine 'round by th hour while Orv squats about marking the places to
sew. There is nowhere in the house to live..."

By October 2002, my reproduction glider occupied the entire garage,
most of the living room, part of the study, and all of my bedroom. Life
got very tense for a few weeks, and nearly triggered a nervous
breakdown. At one point, the entire project was 15 minutes away from
the sledge hammer and the trash can. But a few days later, I read a
post on this newsgroup, and it led to my entry into the airshow
business.

A year after I almost destroyed the plane, I was exhibiting at Wings
Over Houston. My father, mother, and sister drove over from Louisiana
for the second day of the show and served as my ground crew. This may
not sound significant, but my Dad had suffered kidney failure in
November 2002 was now undergoing dialysis 3 times a week. When I was a
kid, he took me to every CAF airshow in Louisiana. Now, through me, he
was part of one. I don't think I ever saw him prouder than when a
spectator asked him who built the glider, and he replied "My son did!"

David Edward Frey was born in Highland, IL in 1947. He served in the
Army at Camp Carroll, South Vietnam from 1967-1968 and fought in the
defense of Dong Ha, Hue, Khe Sahn, and varoius other points along the
DMZ. Following discharge, he graduated from Parks College of Aviation
and earned his A&P in 1969. He took a position with Petroleum
Helicopters in 1970, and served as a senior and lead mechanic for 35
years until illness forced his retirement. He passed away on March 20,
2006 due to a combination of illnesses caused by his exposure to Agent
Orange in Vietnam.

While I can honestly say that my homebuilt project is the source of
some of the worst experiences in my life, that one day in Houston made
all the difference.

Scott David "Harry" Frey
Wright 1902 glider (hull #8)
Wright Brothers Enterprises