Old July 2nd 05, 09:11 PM
F.L. Whiteley

Edward Lockhart wrote:

At 05:18 02 July 2005, Soarski wrote:

If I would want to land downwind on the runway I was
taking off
I could be inclined to just kick in full rudder, and
make the 180 Turn
via a 'Hammerhead' I think it is called a 'Kehre' in
German, or a
'Turn? There would be mostly rudder work required,
some back preasure
on coming out of a dive following the wingover, which
is really half a
spin. Has anyone ever seen that done? Actually, come
to think of it, I
have, in an airshow, a long time ago in a clipped wing
Cub.

I will have to try at altitude, what will need more
altitude to
recover.

DB

So you're talking about some sort of stall turn at
low speed off a 45 degree upline. I think the speed
would be too slow to get any significant yaw. At slow
speed, high AoA you'll get a lot of roll with some
nose drop, almost a low energy flick/snap roll to a
very steep (inverted?) downline.

If you're high enough, you can recover.

The steep climb rate of a winch launch means that you
will then be passing the launch point at low level,
heading downwind at high speed through any landing
traffic, needing to do a smart 180 to land back on
the airfield; not really possible in a K13.

This all sounds like a lot of fun but I'm not sure
we should be teaching it to pre-solo pilots

Pushing over forward very hard after cable break, you
could get into a
negative flight regime, possibly into an inverted spin?

With the typical soaring/training aerofoils used, and
at low speed, that would need an incredibly rapid push.
Even then, so long as the pilot keeps the rudder centralised,
there's no chance of an inverted spin.

Winch techniques have evolved over decades with safety
as the first priority. There's nothing wrong with a
bit of imagination but Soarski, that's a bit too much.

Ed

Speaking of over the top.

Slingby Swallow takes winch launch to 1100agl.
Rolls inverted.
Dives out.
Loops.
Chandelles.