Old July 2nd 05, 11:54 PM
Capt. Geoffry Thorpe

"soarski" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have never been in that predicament. Never seen a cable break
or lost power at below 200 ft or the tow rope on aero tow.

Been lucky so far?

I do have 1000s of hours and acro time.

If I would want to land downwind on the runway I was taking off
I could be inclined to just kick in full rudder, and make the 180 Turn
via a "Hammerhead" I think it is called a "Kehre" in German, or a
"Turn? There would be mostly rudder work required, some back preasure
on coming out of a dive following the wingover, which is really half a
spin. Has anyone ever seen that done? Actually, come to think of it, I
have, in an airshow, a long time ago in a clipped wing Cub.

D00d. A hammerhead works on a verticle up / down line at zero G. Coming of a
cable break you are still only at about 30-40 degrees nose up. Do you think
you would have enough speed to make it to a verticle up? I doubt it, usually
the entry speed for a hammerhead is fairly high, right? If you try to do a
hammerhead on a, say 45 degree up, I'm not sure how /if it could work - I've
never seen it done, I assume there is a reason. You would have to keep
pushing to stay at 0 G I think. I guess it could be entertaining to try if
you have some altitude under your butt.

You could attempt a kinda chandelle like turn, but you are starting out nose
high, low speed, and straight ahead. It would take a lot of forward stick to
keep the G loading below 1 throughout the manouver I would think. Buy the
time you get turned around, you would likely end up pointing way down. eh?

I will have to try at altitude, what will need more altitude to
recover.

That sounds like a good idea. Don't forget the 'chute.

--
Geoff
the sea hawk at wow way d0t com