Old January 25th 04, 01:31 AM
Doug

Up until about 2 years ago none of the IFR GPS's had the DME to the
localizers in the database. Now the ones that have DME are in the
database. What you did was use the FAF and read the distance off the
chart the other way. Only a very few localizers have NO FAF's or other
waypoints associated with the approach that arent in the database.

(Martin Kosina) wrote in message om...
(Martin Kosina) wrote in message . com...
Hi all,

I am toying with the idea of installing a "cheap" IFR GPS in my '76
Cardinal.

Thank you for all the advice, guys, especially Bill whom I had some
offline discussion with. One more question: does the M3's database
include localizer DME fixes ? (Not approaches, just the ability to
show distance off something like "ISLE"). I heard some of the other
older units have it often categorized as intersections, FWIW.

Gray-area legalities aside, my real question is, of course, is: can I
rip out the DME if I get the M3 :-) My KN62A is not channeled by the
NAV, so the usual argument for keeping it because its "already right
there" doesn't apply much, still extra twisting to do. But if the
fixes aren't available, I'll have to keep it, I do need the LOC-DME
capability.

The other option is to get rid of the 300 ADF (I do have to get rid of
one box, no room), probably a stronger boat anchor candidate, although
I am not ready to badmouth it too much. Without an IFR GPS, I use it
all the time. Despite all its folly, there is something to be said for
a three-knob radio that just points to the station...

Thanks again for the input !

Martin