Old January 15th 06, 10:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.piloting

Default UAV's and TFR's along the Mexico boarder

On Sun, 15 Jan 2006 14:40:17 -0500, Bob Noel
wrote in
::

In article ,
Larry Dighera wrote:

It is my understanding that the RFP was written is such a way that
sensible and cost effective solutions would not meet the request.

you came to this conclusion without even seeing the RFP?

I reached that conclusion on the basis of a message earlier in this
thread:

On Fri, 13 Jan 2006 08:52:21 -0800, Richard Riley
wrote in
::

The RFP for the southern border project specified UAV's with 12 hour
endurance, synthetic aperture radar and a laser illuminator as well as
a FLIR system, light amplification cameras, comm relay for ground
agents, a mode S transponder and a pile of other stuff. You have a
182 and a crew that can do that?

And - btw - the optical systems can't be in the propeller slipstream,
the turbulance degrades their resolution too much. That's why so many
of the UAV's are pushers. So you're looking at a twin, minimum 2
people on board and a PILE of gear - and 12 hour endurance.