Old August 8th 09, 02:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval

Default UK Ready To Ditch STOVL F-35?

In article
,
(hcobb) wrote:

Doe this mean the Brits will ditch the Frog Carrier for a real one
from the USA?

No, because the gas-turbine carrier is something we can build fairly
readily. And we're still proud - sometimes too proud - about that stuff.

"The gas-turbine/electric ships would be fitted with separate steam
generators to power the cats."

EMALS being far too complex for them to master I take it?

Too wacky for the Daily Telegraph to give credibility to. Other news
sources are definitely discussing it.

Interpreting the biases of the UK press is not exactly simple. The first
thing you have to grasp is that our newspapers don't have any kind of
legal duty to be unbiased, and mostly see their own biases as being a
sensible, middle-of-the-road viewpoint, which the British people would
embrace en masse were they not being misled by rival papers. Some of the
more delusional ones, such as the Daily Express, really do appear to
believe that everyone agrees with them.

The Telegraph is essentially based on the idea that the 1950s were the
last time of earthly paradise, but that there was a kind of Silver Age
in the eighties under Thatcher, at least in the aspects of the time that
weren't forward-looking.

--
John Dallman,
, HTML mail is treated as probable spam.