Old March 8th 14, 01:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default LX Nav LX8080 Question

On Saturday, March 8, 2014 12:11:28 AM UTC-5, Garret Willat wrote:
Terry,

There is a lot of information on a small screen. Of course a bigger screen is going to be easier on the eyes. I have flown a little with one, it does the job...But having a big screen is really nice too, can have larger font and a bigger moving map. I prefer the larger screen, however depending on the panel that might need a RAM mount or a completely new panel, I am not a huge fan of RAM mounting instruments if I dont have to. Less things in the cockpit and looks nicer when in the panel. However with the larger screens like an LX9000 or ClearNav that means potentially using smaller instruments, added cost and being able to read those...

I have a lot of time with an SN10b and I never had a problem seeing the numbers I needed to. The LX8080 is great for being able to install and fly without major modifications to existing panel (as I assume you are replacing an 80 and 57mm instrument).

Garret Willat

www.wingsandwheels.com

SN10B is monochrome (very easy to read), LX8080 in color will not be as easy to read.

I spent a lot of time trying to decide between LX8080 and LX9000 and I decided to redo the panel.

If I were in my twenties I would see myself buying the smaller unit, but I am not so either LX9000/ClearNav or something like LX7000/SN10 monochrome is a better choice.

I went with LX9000. I would rather buy Dell Streak 5" instead of LX8080, of course software would be limited to TopHap (pretty good) or XCSoar.

Also the price difference is so small between the LX8080 and LX9000 I am not sure why anyone would buy the LX8080. You can purchase with minimal features for less but then one would be better off with SN10 or LX7000 for much less money in that scenario and with better readability of the screen.

Of course you might have difference preferences. It is good to have choices these days .