Old February 10th 05, 02:37 PM
Dudley Henriques

"John Miller" wrote in message
Dudley Henriques wrote:
The Mustang, having a
laminar wing can stall more quickly than say an aircraft with a
higher cambered wing.
To eliminate pilots bending the sheet metal, it is usually
recommended that slips in the 51 end at or above 200 feet AGL.

That was kind of my question, which I probably phrased poorly, that
is, wouldn't the laminar wing give significantly less warning
pre-departure compared with, oh, say, a Stearman, which lots of the
WWII guys learned to slip in? I believe you said that you'd done
slips in a Mustang, which shows it *can* be slipped, and suggests that
the warning may be more cautionary than indicative of a technical
difficulty.

Best regards,
--
John Miller, who doesn't like to do slips in ANY aircraft below 200'
AGL, actually...

You are correct about the Stearman/ Mustang comparison. The 51 is best
put on the mains tail low, at least that has always been my
recommendation and practice.
I agree about the training manual, and expect that is what will be
discovered as I research this a bit more.
DH