Old August 12th 05, 11:08 PM
Pete Masson

I am now getting deeply upset by this and other similar
threads. Please everyone just stop them now - if you
can't say something nice, don't say anything at all.
If you have kind words or memories to share, please
continue to do so.

Neil was my best friend and most dedicated crew, and
I have been most honoured over the years to work with
him on many of his fantastic photographic exploits,
as well as sharing much wine, beer and fun with him.
Everyone knows him for his photos, but those who have
met him will remember him for his incredibly friendly,
helpful and passionate nature. It's fair to say that
I've never met anyone with such an ability to make
new friends wherever he went.

I have just spent the last 2 days with Neil's parents
(he was an only child), uncle, girlfriend and his best
friend of some 42 years. I've also been to Hus Bos
to find out some facts (rather than all the hearsay
and speculation that's doing the rounds), to enable
me to explain to his family and friends exactly how
and why the accident occurred.

JJ and others - I don't know if you've ever done this,
but let me tell you, it was deeply distressing.

Everyone that I've met has been fantastic and supportive
and willing to share their great memories of Neil,
and those involved in the incident have been willing
to explain what happened to me. To all those people,
I'm eternally grateful.

Neil's family have been very understanding and know
that he died doing the two things that he loved - gliding
and photography. They also knew that in doing this,
he was willing to take certain risks - risks which
he calculated and rationalised to himself. Having
been given the facts, they also know that this was
just a very unfortunate accident - a series of individual
things which lead to the ultimate result and nothing
more. They have no desire to change the sport of gliding
as a result. They also have wish to see any blame
apportioned to the pilot involved.

On Wednesday, after his initial posting, I sent JJ
an email expressing how upset I was by him using the
accident as a forum for his personal soap box. After
his second posting, I have to admit to some some red
mist descending and making me click send on a pretty
offensive email, although in my opinion no more offensive
than his. I don't regret this one bit, particularly
as JJ didn't deign to reply to me personally, he just
carried on with his rant. JJ - if you really believe
you have a point that needs to be made on this subject
right now, come here to the UK, and theres a few of
us who would be interested to hear you make it in person,
face to face.

Neil will always be there - every time we smoke towards
the finish line, and you can bet that, as usual, he'll
be egging us on to get closer...

Regards,

Pete Masson