Old September 8th 18, 09:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_6_]

Default Too many accidents

On Sat, 08 Sep 2018 10:08:05 -0700, archerzulu wrote:

On Friday, September 7, 2018 at 10:09:48 AM UTC-6, Roy B. wrote:
"First, I'd wind my watch..." meaning he would take a few seconds to
think before acting.

The problem, WB, is that we are old enough to remember watches that
wind.
Most of our students have never seen one.

I was doing a ground school once and mentioned a "slide rule" and one
of the kids piped up "What's a slide rule?" And before I could answer
another kid said, "It was this old calculating thing - kinda like an
abacus". We really are old.
Roy

THAT is funny...

If you have or can borrow a Curta calculator, it would be fun to see what
the kids make of that!

If you've never seen a Curta, it was an small, not quite pocket sized,
mechanical calculator, designed prewar and produced from 1945/46 on and a
must-have device until electronic calculators started to appear in the
'70s. The rally car folks loved them. Photos and description he
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curta

--
Martin | martin at
Gregorie | gregorie dot org