Old July 24th 20, 06:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Shaun Wheeler

Default 2-33 Trailer Trivia

So I bought a 2-33 trailer. Some patina, a bit of rust but nothing serious. Tare measured 920 lbs and it appears to be built to the plans sold for such things. Very light, easy to handle even by myself. Really do like how it is put together.

The axle is a 5 ton with 12 inch overkill break drums and 8-14.5 mobile home trailer tires and rims. I discovered last weekend while towing it back that this size tire isn't exactly easy to find on a weekend in Wisconsin or Illinois. Or Missouri (though I kind of gave up South of St. Louis).

Other than hauling two project sailplanes back the only other excuse I can come up with for replacing the axle is maybe a landout or hauling it from one club to a different club once the aircraft is ready to fly.

What's the consensus on the hazards of using cheaply made one time use mobile home axles to haul sailplanes?