Old March 4th 21, 02:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tango Eight

Default 3 Turn Point Distance

On Wednesday, March 3, 2021 at 7:21:36 PM UTC-5, xcnick wrote:
I would like to claim a 3 point distance flight according to 1.4.2f. A COURSE from a RELEASE POINT or a declared START POINT to any type of FINISH POINT, via one, two, or three declared TURN POINTS, which may be flown in any order.

Although one MAY declare a start or finish, there is a great advantage not to. After making the last turnpoint, one only has to find clear air to make the last leg as long as possible. With a defined finish there will be a thunderstorm in the way, guaranteed.

I can't figure out how to enter the declaration into my clear nav or even seeyou without a start and finish.

What am I missing here?

Enter a task that consists of a start, 1, 2 or 3 turn points and a finish. Fly your task. Post flight: determine your best soaring performance (see the B&R guide) based on the better of a) your release from tow or b) your declared start. Your "declared" finish point is irrelevant for 3TP distance, your point of furthest progress from the last turn determines the record distance. Your declared start is irrelevant if you choose to use your release from tow. Other variations are possible. For instance you could use the declared start/finish and 3 turns to define a triangle (for speed or distance or both) and extend the flight past the finish to claim a 3TP distance based on release from tow and landing all on same flight.

Even more interesting variations used to be possible, for instance releasing from tow in one state and declaring a remote start in another, but sadly, for reasons never explained, the B&R committee added a one state per flight rule (while still encouraging other types of parallel claims).

Can provide example flights / declarations / B&R docs if interested.

T8