Old July 14th 06, 06:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
David Neptune

Default FAA Soaring Forecasts being eliminated?

I don't know what the rest of the country is experiencing, but here in
Denver the FSS recorded soaring forecast has gotten more and more infrequent
over the last month, and now it not being recorded at all. I strongly
suspect this is deliberate, as when I have actually contacted a briefer and
asked (politely) when the forecast might be recorded I have been told "we
are too busy".

I guess the thought doesn't occur to the FSS that it might take 15 minutes
to look at the 1200Z sounding and make a recording, where I can easily take
up 15 minutes of a briefer's time when he/she has to get the information
from scratch.

OK - maybe a daily forecast at each FSS all over thecountry in the winter
doesn't make sense, but in the middle of the high season?

I suspect that the hope is that most of us simply will not bother to
actually bother a briefer for the soaring data and will instead just
download the Skew -T. If the FAA can document that almost nobody is asking
for a briefing, then the recorded briefing will just be quietly eliminated
as showing lack of interest.

OK - the FAA briefing isn't totally accurate or informative (after all it
only reflects the AM sounding), but it at least gives me a quick "yes, no,
maybe" indication as to whether or not to even think about flying - then I
can check further online sources (and look out the window!) if this seems
sensible.

So - it appears to me that at least in Denver a convenient service is going
to be withdrawn unless our politically-savvy leaders approach the FSS/FAA
and make a formal objection. Of course we could all simply request a formal
briefing and drive them crazy to make the point, but I'd suggest this is
neither professional nor a sensible way to go.

Are others of you having the same problem?

Comments? Suggestions?

Neptune - Boulder CO