Old July 14th 06, 10:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
588

Default FAA Soaring Forecasts being eliminated?

David Neptune wrote:

...it appears to me that at least in Denver a convenient
service is going to be withdrawn unless our politically-savvy
leaders approach the FSS/FAA and make a formal objection.
Of course we could all simply request a formal briefing and
drive them crazy to make the point, but I'd suggest this is
neither professional nor a sensible way to go.

---

"Sec. 91.103

Preflight action.

Each pilot in command shall, before beginning a flight,
become familiar with all available information concerning
that flight."

---

Advisory Circular number AC 00-45E
Date: 12/01/1999
Subject: Aviation Weather Services

http://tinyurl.com/pfvdu

FLIGHT SERVICE STATION (FSS)

The FSS...provides more aviation weather briefing service than
any other U.S Government service outlet. The FSS or AFSS provides
preflight and inflight briefings, transcribed weather briefings,
scheduled and unscheduled weather broadcasts, and furnishes weather
support to flights in its area. As a starting point for a preflight
weather briefing, a pilot may wish to listen to one of the recorded
weather briefings provided by an FSS or AFSS. For a more detailed
briefing, pilots can contact the FSS or AFSS directly.

---

Within the DEN FSS area: 1-800-WX-BRIEF.
Outside the DEN FSS area: 1-866-751-7021.

Follow the touch-tone menu for the soaring weather brief. If the
pre-recorded info is not available, follow the menu tree to speak with a
briefer.

Jack