Old December 3rd 07, 04:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting, rec.aviation.homebuilt
soaringpilot2

Default Spinner strobing as a "Bird Strike Countermeasure"

I wonder about doing the candy stripe spiral on them, or painting the blades different colors...

The candy stripe spiral on the spinner was a recognition thing, the
Germans started doing that in the summer of '44. The Japanese did
something similar thru the war years by painting the inboard leading
edge of the wing yellow. Quick recognition by your comrades in a
dogfight when head on...

This is the first I've heard of the 1/3 and 2/3's strobe effect, I
thought it was also for recognition...Maybe I'll try it on my 172...

-Ryan