Old August 10th 04, 02:14 PM
TJ Girl

Can you shed any light on the rules for including fixes from adjacent
centers? Is it everything within 200 nm of the center boundary? Or just
airway VORs?

Unfortunately, I do not know the exact rules they use for determining
what fixes to include. Something like ORD is in everyone's computer.
Something like 7Y7 is only known by Minneapolis' computers. As far as
anything in between, well, I could only guess....

What does the computer do if it cannot process fixes to determine the route?

It free tracks, which means it'll predict your future position based
only on your history. This makes route lines not work, auto-handoffs
disabled, conflict alert inaccurate, etc. You won't find an aircraft
get into that state, though. The controller will fix it at least to
one fix outside his center so you will always stay in flat track: or
predicting your future based on your history AND your flight plan
informaiton.

What is the extent of deployment and use of URET?

I don't have a map offhand, but they showed it to us when we went
through the training, so I'm going on my memory. Most of the eastern
centers have it now. Atlanta has not gotten it for political issues.
Chicago has it but they set so many rules about its use that the
controllers are ignoring it.
I know definitely Boston, Cleveland, Minneapolis, Kansas City, and
Denver have it. Some of the others do, too, but again, I don't have a
map here. The controllers at these ceters for the most part love it.
It's slowly working its way west. Denver got it this summer, not sure
about Houston or Dallas. Salt Lake is next in line, but I think they
are delayed until after DRVSM (domestic reduced vertical separation
minimum) is deployed nationwide in January.

TJ Girl