Old September 14th 18, 10:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Vario Comparison

On Tuesday, 28 August 2018 05:28:01 UTC-4, Mike Borgelt wrote:

All pressure based instruments will suffer from much the same problems. It does not matter whether the TE compensation is by TE probe or derived from the pitot - static. TE probes are easier as pitot - static compensation introduces potential mismatches between the time the pressure signals arrive at the sensors and as you are subtracting two large signals to look at a small one it is easy to get large transient indications.

Forgive me Mr. Borgelt if I ask a stupid question. I am no expert, but doesn't my ASI subtract these two large signals (Pitot - static)? I do not observe 'large transient indications', ever, expect maybe when I inadvertently stumble in a wave rotor. What am I missing in understanding?