Old July 16th 06, 08:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Don W

Default most anti-aviation city in the nation

I wonder what the city/county concerns that are
leading to the regulations are. Also, it would be
interesting to hear about your insurance companies
concerns. Was your home insurance canceled
because working on aircraft violated the policy
terms, or because storing the aircraft violated
county zoning law?

I wholeheartedly agree that our city/county
governments are passing ordinances that interfere
with a persons right to "pursuit of happiness" all
the time. Where I live, the local codes are
fairly draconian due to the city starting as a
"retirement" community. We can not even store a
boat in our back yard legally, and the code
enforcement people issue tickets for leaving your
trash cans out at the street too long (more than
24 hours). Still, the city responds to reasonable
requests for variances from the city ordinances,
and we do elect our city councilmen and mayor
every two years.

A resolution to the restriction might start with
contacting your local city/county politician as
follows:

"Jim, it recently came to my attention that the
city has an ordinance prohibiting working on or
storing aircraft at a residential property. I
would like to work on building a small
experimental aircraft in my garage, so do you know
what the city's concerns that led to this
ordinance are?"

Once you understand their concerns, you can work
out something that will most likely get you a
variance, and let you do what you want to.

"If I were to do all of the work inside my garage,
and make sure that the noise didn't disturb my
neighbors do you think I could get a variance for
this project?"

You might even have to purchase and install some
type of acoustic absorber in the garage to bring
the noise down to where the neighbors would
tolerate it.

"I own this property and will do what I damn well
please on it" will not get you very far even in
rural areas.

It sounded like the ordinance that the first
poster was referring to got passed specifically
because a home builder got in a ****ing contest
with a neighbor, and the city sided with the neighbor.

Don W.

blackbird wrote:
Hi guys,

My name is Wayne McCullough and I am a current EAA chapter president.
My homeowners insurance was cancelled because of a current Kolb project
being worked on at my home....23 acres in Effingham County
Georgia........No runway allowed, no storage of aircraft of any
kind......

And then I read this, and Duval County is Jacksonville,
Florida........Amazing what the politicians can do behind closed
doors.....

Eaa national has not responded to any of my e-mails as of yet.....All
of this I found out last Monday......

Been doing experimentals for 12 years, and I did not know I was not
living in America anymore.