Old January 8th 09, 09:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

Default 175 or 250 watt transponder?

On Jan 8, 12:01*pm, Itsaplane wrote:
Needing a replacment, my transponder shop told me that above 15k' the
FAR's require a 250 watt transponder (125w below 15k').

True?

I'm pretty sure that sailplane owners are mostly installing 175 watt
units and flying them to 18k' (and higher in wave windows). *Right?

If this 15k' rule is real, I'm supposing that, since gliders aren't
required to have a transponder except in certain airspace (this
airspace is all below 15k' -- except Class A...) that we're generally
free to install anything we want (except 18k' in Class A?).

Bottom line -- 175 watts or 250 watts?

Eric Rupp
ER
(My Terra TR250D transponder is inop and I'm having trouble getting
parts - anybody have a dead one that we might be able to salvage from?)

In practice a 175W Becker appears to work fine above 15,000'. That's
what I'd use.

I'd worry more about getting something reliable, easily serviceable
and has an readout of pressure alt/flight level (ie. replace the
Terra) than whether 250W is important.

Darryl