Old July 7th 07, 04:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval
Dave[_18_]

Default Aviation Observer Wings Question - Do they still use them ?

Larry Cauble wrote:
R. Scott;530701 Wrote:
From what I remember and what I can read they are no longer issued and
the
NFO came out in 1968. Yet I see a website where someone claiming to be
commander and being commissioned in 82 wearing A/O wings on his
uniform. In
my limited 16 year career (med disch not retired) I never once seen
them.

Plus a lot of his other pictures and stuff don't add up.

Like his pictures of VP31 A/C deployed overseas, Course I was in VP31
and
don't remember them deploying all over the world they seemed to
train a
lot of people though .

Thanks in advanced for answering the query

Rick Scott
Fmr USN AE1 and Aircrew

I know of at least two small groups of officers who wear/wore observer
wings: Information warfare officers (1610 designator; used to be called
cryptologic officers) who flew in EP-3 back end crews, and oceanography
officers (1800) who flew weather missions. Pretty small numbers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Badges_...ed_States_Navy
may shed some light on current use of NOA badge.
Don't know if it active or not, lost a link to service
designators/badges somewhere along the line.
Dave Retired AWC (AC) USN.