Old February 26th 07, 10:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Kev

Default Medical after cancer

On Feb 26, 4:40 pm, Mxsmanic wrote:
Since cancer is not normally a cause of sudden incapacitation in flight, I
don't see why the FAA would care, especially after it is cured. [...]

The FAA view is that if you have a known cancer, then you could also
have unseen brain / nervous system damage. If it was non-metastatic,
I believe they want a year to go by after cure. Otherwise could be
five years or more or never.

Doesn't seem quite fair to deny someone with a limited lifespan, the
joy of flight, does it? Of course, if you actually had just a few
months, who'd care about the FAA? :-)

I'm coming up on one year since my chemo, rad, and major cancer
operation, and am interested in slowly getting back in the saddle as
well.

Kev