Old February 26th 07, 10:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Default Medical after cancer

Kev writes:

The FAA view is that if you have a known cancer, then you could also
have unseen brain / nervous system damage.

Wow! They are _really_ grasping at straws here. Who makes these decisions?

A substantial percentage of the population shows brain aneurysms at autopsy,
but only a fraction experience ruptured aneurysms during life. Why doesn't
the FAA require MRIs of pilots' brains and exclude anyone with even a hint of
a vascular abnormality from flight? It's just as likely to cause
incapacitation as occult metastases of a primary malignancy to the brain.

And even when metastases occur and are symptomatic, it's unlikely that they
will present _suddenly_ as abrupt incapacitation with no prior warning.

Many pilots are walking around with a cardiovascular system that may given
them a CVA or MI at any moment, but the FAA does not deny their medicals, as
long as their BP is normal and they have no history. Shouldn't it require
invasive testing to verify that all major arteries are patent and clean?

Doesn't seem quite fair to deny someone with a limited lifespan, the
joy of flight, does it?

The gap between the FAA's view and reality is quite astonishing.

I'm coming up on one year since my chemo, rad, and major cancer
operation, and am interested in slowly getting back in the saddle as
well.

Good luck. If you are anything less than Khan Noonien Singh it seems that
you'll need it with the FAA.