Old February 27th 07, 01:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Macklin

Default Medical after cancer

Your current medical is invalid until your treating doctor
fully releases you and you are not on any medication the FAA
finds disqualifying.
Home Page Executive Branch Code of Federal Regulations
Electronic Code of Federal Regulations

Electronic Code of Federal Regulations (e-CFR)
e-CFR Data is current as of February 22, 2007

Title 14: Aeronautics and Space
PART 61-CERTIFICATION: PILOTS, FLIGHT INSTRUCTORS, AND
GROUND INSTRUCTORS
Subpart A-General

Browse Previous | Browse Next

§ 61.53 Prohibition on operations during medical
deficiency.
(a) Operations that require a medical certificate. Except as
provided for in paragraph (b) of this section, a person who
holds a current medical certificate issued under part 67 of
this chapter shall not act as pilot in command, or in any
other capacity as a required pilot flight crewmember, while
that person:

(1) Knows or has reason to know of any medical condition
that would make the person unable to meet the requirements
for the medical certificate necessary for the pilot
operation; or

(2) Is taking medication or receiving other treatment for a
medical condition that results in the person being unable to
meet the requirements for the medical certificate necessary
for the pilot operation.

(b) Operations that do not require a medical certificate.
For operations provided for in §61.23(b) of this part, a
person shall not act as pilot in command, or in any other
capacity as a required pilot flight crewmember, while that
person knows or has reason to know of any medical condition
that would make the person unable to operate the aircraft in
a safe manner.

(c) Operations requiring a medical certificate or a U.S.
driver's license. For operations provided for in §61.23(c),
a person must meet the provisions of-

(1) Paragraph (a) of this section if that person holds a
valid medical certificate issued under part 67 of this
chapter and does not hold a current and valid U.S. driver's
license.

(2) Paragraph (b) of this section if that person holds a
current and valid U.S. driver's license.

[Doc. No. 25910, 62 FR 16298, Apr. 4, 1997, as amended by
Amdt. 61-110, 69 FR 44866, July 27, 2004]

"Chas" wrote in message
. ..
| Just diagnosed with stage I breast cancer, mastectomy next
week. Anticipate
| some degree of chemical warfare post operation. Doc says
it may cause hot
| flashes, wife says welcome to her world.
|
| Current medical runs for another 14 months. I will be
talking to the AOPA
| folks but was curious if anyone had comparable experience
and could give me