Old December 11th 03, 10:49 PM
Mary Shafer

On Sat, 6 Dec 2003 06:23:26 +0000 (UTC), David Lesher
wrote:

In article , wrote:

Rejoice with me. They've got the rafters and roof sheathing on our
house, having put up the load-bearing walls in two days, and have
started on the non-load-bearing walls and the water lines and wiring.
The sheer-wall sheathing is being done today. We have the pre-drywall
walk-through on Tuesday, a week from now.

Hope you wired the house with CAT5 here/there/everywhere, as
well as RG-6 for the boob tube..

Fifteen dataports (two-line phone, Cat5e, two sets of coax), including
one on the patio and one on the front porch (two dataports came
standard with the house). Plus six or seven two-line phone outlets
and one set of coax, standard. And another wiring box to hold all of
this.

I also put in electrical receptacles right by the outside dataports.
It's nice enough here to sit outside and read Usenet on my laptop
during the day. Retirement is fun.

They put in the additional can lights and the quadraplex outlets
yesterday. They've put in the fireplace, the HVAC units and ducting,
the alarm system, and the J-boxes, wrapped the house in tar paper, and
started putting the foam and chickenwire on the outside. I think
we're about a week from drywall now. They put on the brown coat a
couple of days after that. They've got the tiles on the roof already,
not in place, but up there to put the weight on for the frame and
stucco.

The insulation is a combination of blown cellulose and 1-in. foam, but
I don't see how they're going to get the blown stuff in there, unless
they go through the foam just before they stucco. All the studs have
firebreaks, of course, and the twelve-foot studs have two, so it's not
going to be quick. They do use bats in the garage, though. Maybe
they use a smaller hole to blow the cellulose in than I think they do.

Mary