Old November 28th 10, 01:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_5_]

Default news server for uk.rec.aviation.soaring

On Sun, 28 Nov 2010 10:22:02 +0000, Paul Tribe wrote:

At 03:15 27 November 2010, Martin Gregorie wrote:
On Sat, 27 Nov 2010 01:47:12 +0000, Alex Potter wrote:

On Sat, 27 Nov 2010 00:27:41 +0100, Peter Scholz wrote:

Does anybody know a news server (NNTP) that is hosting

the
uk.rec.aviation.soaring newsgroup? I so far only found

servers that
host the uk.rec.aviation group, but none for the soaring

sub-newsgroup.
I know I can get to the newsgroup content through
http://uras.gliderpilto.net, but I would rather read the news

group
through my usual newsreader.

Thanks,

Thanks for pointing out the ukras group. I've asked for it to

be added
to the feed at eternal-september. Whether that will produce

a result, I
don't know.

AFAIK gliderpilot.net takes a forum feed from r.a.s but won't

reciprocate
by generating an NNTP feed from its other forums: at least I

haven't been
able to find a newsgroup corresponding to ukras.

Consequently, I won't look at ukras: web forums are so slow

and clunky
compared to a decent USENET reader that its not worth the

effort to read
them and, besides, forums don't have kill files.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK

But not being listed as a group on the major servers does have the
effect of reducing the amount of spam by a huge amount. Swings and
roundabouts, I suppose.

Theres very little spam on r.a.s or, for that matter, on technical
newsgroups I use compared with the normal volume on e-mail. IMO the 'no
spam' argument is a very small swing.

The majority of the spam that I see comes through a fairly busy mailing
list and it all originates in associated web forums. Based on this, I
think ukras has simply been lucky that no black hats have (yet)
considered it a useful spam delivery channel.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK