Old June 11th 19, 08:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Gary Wayland

Default Another EXTREMELY low thermal save

On Thursday, May 30, 2019 at 4:39:24 PM UTC-4, Paul Kaye wrote:
On Sunday, 26 May 2019 21:16:06 UTC+1, wrote:
I’m afraid video may be making pilots take these risks.

https://youtu.be/PlXeHeR5Ma8

It's easy to point out all the risks, but OTOH, as anyone who has flown in the French Alps or similar mountainous areas will know, thermalling close to terrain is not uncommon in some circumstances. I've personally found myself circling within a hundred metres or so of the ground frequently. Of course there are risks, but as a pilot you need to manage them. It's important to fly accurately and to have escape options if things don't go to plan.

In this case, the terrain was flat, there was little wind (as witnessed by the lack of drift) and there was a landable field within easy reach. The pilot's flying looked very accurate and speed control was excellent. Maybe a little more lookout might have been in order, but I suspect the likelihood of conflicting traffic was very low. Overall, this isn't something you'd want to recommend to inexperienced pilots, but I don't think this guy was taking excessive risks.

Good Post. Totally agree with your assessment. No way I'm going to second guess this pilot. That looks like an average day in the eastern US as I scratched with my Libelle! And boy, could she scratch!