Old October 19th 18, 03:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Default CELEBRATING OUR 12TH BIRTHDAY

Is there a difference between a GB pound and a pound sterling?* If so, what?

On 10/19/2018 1:44 AM, wrote:
Hi Gliding Enthusiasts

We are particularly proud of our November issue which goes in the mail next week.

Our team was set the task of making it our best ever so it could honour our 12th birthday. It’s hard to acknowledge that we have been producing an issue every eight weeks for 12 years and never missed a dead-line date.

The issue you are about to receive covers:

• A special review of the Perlan project, photos you’ve never seen, the history of the project and commentary about heading beyond 76,000 feet.

• Do you know about the Armstrong line: the height at which human blood boils? The dangers that the Perlan team engage in is pretty acute and not for the faint hearted.

• Bird strikes - There are more than you might ever think about. Ideas to help locations avoid possible tragedies. (and a paper on how to clear bird flocks from your airport/gliding site – something positive -something new).

• Gavin Wills has produced an amazing photo of his Duo doing aerobatics alongside the 12,200 feet peak of Mount Cook.

• Nasa has a big team working on new wing designs. This is an eye-opener that particularly deals with flutter.

• New! Spray-on antennas. Spray the whole sailplane if you like and get better reception. It works too!

• B.A.E. are producing a whole new cockpit design. Learn about this relatively new company.

• How to turn a Libelle into a self-launching motor-glider.

•ª Meantime, Schleicher ASK 21’s is grounded after November 30 (Catch up on their problems.)

• We are playing our part in helping develop the sport. New - A free subscription to every new member in your club that goes solo and are under 25 years of age. We have always had a big commitment to the sport’s development.

• A report on the two enthusiasts killed when aerobating a Duo Discus. Timely Warning!

• Much is being written about Graphene and its aviation applications. We have done over two months research on
this already famous product. A truly but serious investigation into Graphene and when it will first be built into a new sailplane and where it was discovered. Would you believe in Manchester, United Kingdom? — The UK. Government have just made a ‘Donation of £60 million pounds sterling” to assist the 300 already working on Graphene development.

• The Wright Brothers Memorial Museum has had a major face left at Kill Devil Hill in the U.S.A.

• Sebastian Kawa is ANNOYED - FRUSTRATED - DISGRUNTLED - EMBARRASSED - DISENCHANTED – DISILLUSIONED at the format of gliding competitions and the constant leeching that surrounds his every move. The world Champion provides a review of the problem and his suggestions for change. He has every right to speak out at this ever-increasing problem. (Kawa – World Champion - 29 Gliding Medals, 24 – Gold)

• And Simine Short has provided us with a well-researched and well written story on the 1928 trek by German enthusiasts who introduced the sport to America. Really fascinating! (Did you know J.C. Penny of American retail fame, was one of first to fly a glider in U.S.A.

• Now NASA has released a paper on their new project involving a new wind tunnel, so designed to endorse their theories on a totally new wing concept.

• Then there is the story about the wings design that will change shape in flight. Research never seems to stop and it takes a lot of time to keep up with all the latest developments.

• FINALLY, can you take this note as a reminder that your subscription needs renewing. Please go to our web site.

• Maybe for first-time readers it’s time you became a subscriber!

www.glidinginternational.com

Bring yourself up to date!

Regards

JOHN ROAKE, EDITOR