Old November 20th 06, 02:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Greg Copeland

Default This year's annual

Wow. That's a costly ($10,000) first annual. Or maybe I'm using too
many zeros? Was any of that a surprise? Did you do a pre-buy? What
was it that cost that much? Or did you upgrade/update things while you
had it apart?

Greg

Jon Kraus wrote:
Are you ****ed that you are only getting 65 PSI compression out of a 500
SMOH hour cylinder? I think that the high copper count doesn't
necesarily mean anything drastic... Our first annual in the Mooney was
almost 10 AMU's. Our second was 5 AMU's... Following this logic maybe
this year's will be 2.5 AMU's.... Yea right!! :-)

A Lieberma wrote:
It's been a solid week, and I am still not flying in my Sundowner.....

Problems encountered.

Oil analysis came back with high count of copper
#3 cylinder low on compressions
Corrosion on a side panel of the fuselage
Small pipe (Exhaust outake?) had small crack in it
Air in the brake lines (took ten minutes to bleed)

Things to be replaced (500 hours time since major, hard to believe I have
flown that much in three years!)

Points and condensors
Mags

Things to be fixed

Windshield leakage

All has been done except for the corrosion problem. He scraped off the
paint and most of the corrosion color, but there is a pin hole size pit
(very, very tiny, but still perceptible) in the bare skin. It doesn't go
entirely through the skin, but it's there needless to say. Why in the
area is beyond comprehension since it's on a vertical surface to the
right of the door. Not exactly an area where water collects. Got a pic
if anybody's interested.

Soo, for the #3 cylinder, A&P was able to field service it and get the
compressions up to 65. Remaining three cylinders are in the 70's.

Changed the oil from 15W50 weight to 20W50 weight. Added an engine
additive too. Expensive stuff at $24 a pint!

Small pipe replaced. Brake lines bled. Windshield was sealed.

Only problem remaining to be fixed is the corrosion and repainting the
area. Hoping that what he has done will be good enough. I'd hate to see
what the cost of Beechcraft skin will do to my wallet if it can't be
fixed!

Definately won't rank in the least costly annuals for me.

Allen