Old March 9th 21, 07:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

Default $1 billion BMS Ooops...

Dan Marotta wrote on 3/9/2021 7:42 AM:
I just gotta ask, "Why"?

What is the cost of the conversion?* Is the engine failed and not repairable? Are there a lot
of brownie points for "saving the planet"?

If I wanted to, my gas powered Stemme could reach just about anywhere in the western states on
a single tank of gas.* The electric offerings from Stemme have great range at the expense of
carrying a gas-powered generator along to make the electric power to run the motor.* Where's
the advantage?

Dan

Don't take it personally :^) Kenn is converting an AC-5 Russia, a WAY DIFFERENT glider than the
Stemme! It has a rattlely, unreliable motor of modest power, but I'll let Kenn fill in the details
of his decision.

On 3/8/21 8:51 PM, Eric Greenwell wrote:
2G wrote on 3/8/2021 5:19 PM:
On Monday, March 8, 2021 at 5:15:13 PM UTC-8, 2G wrote:
On Monday, March 8, 2021 at 5:25:41 AM UTC-8, Eric Greenwell wrote:
2G wrote on 3/7/2021 9:06 PM:
On Sunday, March 7, 2021 at 8:52:23 PM UTC-8, Eric Greenwell wrote:

Also, Hank concluded with this piece of advice:

"To my knowledge this has been done once so far in the US .
If you want an electric sailplane- buy one."

Sounds prudent to me.

Some people like the challenge, much as glider pilots do in their flying (or they'd get an
airplane): Ken Sebesta, a participant here, has removed the self-launching gas motor from his
AC-5 Russia and is replacing it with an electric motor. I believe he's bench-tested the
motor, ESC, and batteries, and is now working out the motor mounting details.