Old May 3rd 04, 12:18 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Andrew Sarangan" wrote in message
58...

The Dayton Class C airspace sits right next to the Wright-Patterson
AFB Class D airspace. A vector for the ILS approach often takes
us over or through the class D airspace. If we are VFR, I always
verify with the approach controller if we are ok to enter the class
D. I have received mixed answers to this query. Sometimes the
controller will thank me for asking and confirm that the class D
controller is aware of us. Sometimes he will change the vector
upon my query. Sometimes the controller has told me that I am
ok to enter the class D airspace as long as I am talking to him.
One controller was even annoyed that I asked him, and proceed
to say that I was ok to transition the class D. What is the normal
procedure in situations like this?

IFR or VFR, the approach controller is required to coordinate the transition
of Class D airspace with the tower controller.

FAA Order 7110.65P Air Traffic Control

Chapter 2. General Control

Section 1. General

2-1-16. SURFACE AREAS

a. Coordinate with the appropriate nonapproach control tower on an
individual aircraft basis before issuing a clearance which would require
flight within a surface area for which the tower has responsibility unless
otherwise specified in a letter of agreement.

REFERENCE-
FAAO 7210.3, Letters of Agreement, Para 4-3-1.
14 CFR Section 91.127, Operating on or in the Vicinity of an Airport in
Class E Airspace.
P/CG Term- Surface Area.

b. Coordinate with the appropriate control tower for transit authorization
when you are providing radar traffic advisory service to an aircraft that
will enter another facility's airspace.

NOTE-
The pilot is not expected to obtain his/her own authorization through each
area when in contact with a radar facility.

c. Transfer communications to the appropriate facility, if required, prior
to operation within a surface area for which the tower has responsibility.

REFERENCE-
FAAO 7110.65, Radio Communications Transfer, Para 2-1-17.
FAAO 7110.65, Surface Area Restrictions, Para 3-1-11.
FAAO 7110.65, Application, Para 7-6-1.
14 CFR Section 91.129, Operations in Class D Airspace.